‘we’, ‘our’, or ‘us’) collects, stores and uses certain information about you. Reference
to NZTE includes reference to NZTE subsidiaries where applicable. This
Information we collect
We may collect information about you as necessary for any lawful purpose connected with our function as a New Zealand Crown entity, including:
(a) personal information you provide to us, such as information you submit on one of our websites or social media channels ('our websites') as prompted, and information about your interaction with our websites and other computer systems, and
(b) aggregate information which our or our contractors' systems generate relating to traffic to, from and on our websites but does not identify you personally.
Failure to provide necessary personal information when requested may result in some of our services or parts of our websites not being available to you.
Use of information
Before using your personal information, we will take such steps as required in the circumstances to ensure that the information is accurate and current.We may use the personal information we collect for the purpose we collected it for, any other use you authorise, or where otherwise authorised by law.
Examples of how we might use your personal information include:
- (a) to verify your identity and assist you if you forget your password or login details for any of our registration services,
- (b) to assist in providing services requested by you or receiving services from you,
- (c) to provide further information to you about other websites and services which we consider may be of interest to you,
- (d) for sharing with third parties that have similar objectives to us where the sharing is for a not-for-profit purpose,
- (e) for future marketing, promotional and publicity purposes that relate to us or our purpose, including to carry out direct marketing, market research and surveys,
- (f) to help ensure that you are shown information that we consider may be relevant to you and your interests,
- (g) to prevent and resolve unauthorised access to, or attacks on, our systems, and
- (h) to provide services to different entities within or related to NZTE.
Disclosure of information
- We may disclose:
- (a) any information that we collect about you to third parties for the purposes of providing you with services we think may be of interest to you, or receiving services from you;
- (b) your personal information to:
(i) third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law, or if we have your prior authorisation, and
(ii) police or other government agencies in New Zealand if we believe giving the information will help prevent or resolve fraud, money laundering, unauthorised access to, or attacks on, our systems, or other crimes, and
- (c) aggregate tracking information and other information that does not personally identify you to third parties.
- You acknowledge that personal information and aggregate tracking information about you may be kept on computer systems operated by third parties. You further acknowledge that information gathered is routinely monitored for cyber security purposes.
Holding, accessing and correcting information
Any personal information you provide to us will be collected and held by us and/or our authorised agents and associates. We will take reasonable efforts to protect personal information we hold from loss, misuse, and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
We will keep your personal information for as long as necessary for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used
Individuals have certain rights under the Privacy Act 1993, including to access their personal information that we hold and to request the correction of that information. Please see 'Our contact details below' for how to contact us.
For information about New Zealand's Privacy Act 1993 and how it protects the personal information of individuals in New Zealand, please visit the website of the Privacy Commissioner.
Cookies and tracking
We may use a "cookie" file containing information that can identify details of your IP address, PC platform (e.g. Windows, NT or Mac), browser type and version (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox), domain (whether you are accessing one of our websites from New Zealand or elsewhere) and other user information (e.g. your username)
We may use the information generated by cookies to:
- (a) track traffic patterns to, from and on our websites,
- (b) measure how you use our websites so they can be updated and improved,
- (c) enable you to enter our websites and use certain services and to visit registered user-only areas of our websites,.
- (d) remember the notifications you've seen so that we don't show them to you again,
- (d) remember the notifications you've seen so that we don't show them to you again,
- (e) help display advertising to the appropriate users, and,
- (f) provide you with services or offers which we believe are relevant to you.
Content providers, advertisers and partners
We do not control the practices of content providers, partners and advertisers connected with any of our sites and to whom you provide personal information whilst using one of our websites or our services. Our websites contain links to other sites which may not follow the same privacy policies as we do. We suggest that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
Individuals in the European Economic Area (EEA)
In addition to the above, the following applies to you to the extent that we collect personal information about you and you are in the EEA and, or that information is otherwise subject to the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation.
The data controller is New Zealand Trade and Enterprise, Level 15, 100 Willis Street, Wellington, New Zealand. Our data protection officer can be contacted by sending an email to email@example.com.
We may process your personal information in the following circumstances::
(a) The information is collected as part of a contract for services that we have with you or an entity you represent (including any co-funded service offered by us), and processing is either necessary to carry out that contract, or you have asked us to take specific steps to do so before we enter into that contract.
(b) The information is collected in order to monitor your behaviour (whether by using cookies on any of our websites, video surveillance at our offices in the EEA, analytics software or otherwise), or in the course of recruitment or employment activities. We may process that information because we have a legitimate interest to do so. That legitimate interest is to ensure the security of our environment (both physical and digital), to recruit new people, and to manage existing employment relationships.
(c) The information is collected as part of offering our services to you or an entity you represent (other than as covered under (a) above), or as part of exercising an official authority vested in us. We may process that information as part of us performing a public task as a Crown entity.
(d) You have given your express consent for us to do so.
(e) We are required to do so by law. This may include where we are required to comply with our obligations as a public agency under New Zealand's Official Information Act 1993
You have options in relation to the personal information we hold about you. To exercise these options, please contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
(a) access personal information that we hold about you,
(b) rectify inaccurate personal information that we hold about you,
(c) have personal information we hold about you erased where:
(i) the purpose for which it was collected is no longer relevant,
(ii) you withdraw your consent (where we have asked for your consent),
(iii) there is no overriding legitimate interest for us to continue to use that personal information,
(iv) we process that personal information unlawfully, or
(v) it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation,
(d) restrict processing of your personal information,
(e) receive copies of your personal information that we hold in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and
(f) object to profiling and direct marketing using your personal information.
You also have the right to complain to a regulator. If you are based in the EEA and think that we haven't complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
Transfer out of the EEA
Your personal data may, throughout the course of its processing, be transferred outside of the EEA. Where this is the case, all appropriate technical and legal safeguards will be put in place to ensure that you are afforded the same level of protection as within the EEA.
We will retain information that we collect about you only for as long as it is reasonably required to undertake the purposes for which that information was collected.
Our contact details
If you want to know more about privacy at NZTE, please contact our privacy officer by sending an email to email@example.com.
If you have any questions about how our services work, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.